Tuesday, September 8, 2015

100 things a quilter should do....

I found a list of 100 things a quilter do before she dies. I decided to make my own list.
  1. Make a quilt, any size. Otherwise you are not a quilter...many.
  2. Make a miniature quilt.Several, accuracy is so important here. Here is one.
  3. Make a King size quilt! I've got one started here, and I've quilted many.
  4. Make an easy pattern; 9-patch or rail fence. Done several, this is one of my favorites.
  5. Make a log cabin or 3. Did one as a very beginner quilter, here, tough block.
  6. Hand quilt ONE, at least. Really I did, some were miniature, one was not.
  7. Machine quilt one so you know if you like it or not. Done hundred's, on my domestic and long arm.
  8. Use a walking foot. Makes quilting straight lines on the domestic possible.
  9. Do some free motion quilting.So fun. Domestic here. Long arm here.
  10. Bind a quilt. Not my favorite past time, but I don't let them linger unbound either.
  11. Pillowcase a quilt. Hate it, Did one in my 20's, that was fine. Now? NEVER!
  12. Donate a quilt. Many, my favorite: here.
  13. Work on a donation quilt. Many times.
  14. Sell tickets to a donation quilt. Every year..really do not like to, I've bought lots too..
  15. Put a bias binding on. My first quilt had bias binding, cause I thought that was the way it was supposed to be done...now only if the stripe needs to be diagonal.
  16. Bind an odd shaped edge quilt. My daughter-in-laws hexagon, here. NEVER again.
  17. Do prairie points. Never done this, really not crazy about it or I would have. :)
  18. Hand finish a binding. Many, many times.
  19. Machine finish a binding. Many, many times, baby quilts usually and kid's quilts.
  20. Add piping to a binding. Yes, once for sure...maybe twice., memory fog!
  21. Applique a block. Done a few, they are not in quilt yet.
  22. Hand piece a block. Done a few, they are not in a quilt yet.
  23. Redraft a block pattern to a different size.All the time, now I use eq7.
  24. Do a yo-yo, or 100 yo-yo's. I've done a few, and taught others...but not crazy about them...until I see them in an OLD quilt, then they are amazing.
  25. Try English Paper Piecing. The FIRST quilt I ever started....
  26. Try paper piecing. I find it tedious but the blacks can be amazing.
  27. Exchange a set of blocks with a group of friends. I find this so FUN! Lots.
  28. MAKE that set of blocks into something. I've done MANY, have MANY to do.
  29. Wash a quilt. Lots of times.
  30. Take a washed quilt that bled and rescue it. Here
  31. Attend quilt Festival in Houston! Almost every year since 1979, pretty sure I would not have if I hadn't lived so close.
  32. Look at the QUILTS at festival. I am amazed at the women that go and JUST shop.
  33. Read quilt magazines, at the library or your home.I no longer read them, but as a beginner I loved them.
  34. Check out a quilt book from the library.I have read all the quilt books in the 3 libraries I have lived near in the last 35 years.
  35. Buy your own quilt book. Years ago my Mother told me it was okay to buy something I was passionate about occasionally once a month. Luckily I did not buy a book a month or I'd have way more than I do...30 years x 12 = a ton of books!  
  36. If you use your book WRITE in it about your quilt. I particularly enjoy rereading the books I took notes in, like I did in college. They are yours, you can write in them. Date the quilts you make, write down who you gave them to, or who helped you make them.
  37. Organize your books.I used to have them arranged by topic and all the same author together, now I have them arranged by color. Silly but I enjoy looking at them.
  38. Donate a quilt book to the library.When I was getting ready to move the last time I donated a box of quilting books to our library.
  39. Make a label. I have been making labels for years, I 've made all the labels for my Mother's quilts also, imagine my surprise when I find several quilts that are unlabeled. I don't think they are finished until they are labelled.
  40. Make a different label. I have counted cross-stitched labels, computer printed labels, hand embroidery labels, painted labels and inked labels. My favorite is to have a friend with an embroidery machine make the labels for me.
  41. Keep making labels until ALL your quilts are labeled. I'm working on this.
  42. Make a label for the quilt your Grandma made. Done, see #40.
  43. Make a rod pocket to hang a quilt. Done. So much easier if done when the binding is being made.
  44. Make a pillowcase to store your quilt in. I've recently realized that making 2 is a good idea...if they actually use the pillowcase it will wear out way before the quilt will.
  45. Make a pillow out of a lone block.  Sometimes you don't want to make a whole quilt and a pillow will be just fine. I have several I get out at Christmas.
  46. Keep a journal about your quilt making experience. Since I often have more than one quilt in the works it helps if I take notes, I have a notebook of just my exchange quilts.
  47. Take pictures of your quilts.I keep them in a file on the computer now but my notebook has many pictures.
  48. Hostess a speaker for your guild. I've gotten to do this 3 times now and it is really fun. Not picking them up at the airport but the talking to them.
  49. Join a guild. There are 4 close enough for me to join, the one I'm most active in is the farthest away, but I was the most comfortable there. I attended 2 for a long time but now it is once a month, which was great when I had kids at home. I may get more involved now.
  50. Be an officer in your guild. It is hardly fair that the same 10 people do the bulk of the work in a guild. Be the new blood and take an easier job, become friends with these women that share your passion.
  51. Go on a quilt retreat. I've done this, but if I have an extra $300  I want to spend it visiting my grandkids.
  52. Take a class from a speaker with your guild members. These classes are cheap AND the ladies are nice and share your passion so it is FUN. My goal this year was to take EVERY workshop that wasn't on Sunday and learn something new. So much fun. New friends are made when you spend time with them.
  53. Go to a small local quilt show. These are so much fun, easy to see EVERY quilt.
  54. Go to a small local quilt show while on vacation. The Denver Capitol Quilt show is great and the one they have in Springville, Utah is worth going to.
  55. Figure out how to use yellow in your quilt.The first time I did this I thought it was a FAIL but my mother honestly loves that quilt; so I gave it to her. Since then I have done it to the point that I liked it too.
  56. Discover the color wheel. I've read 2 books about this.
  57. Make a quilt using the color wheel. I'm working on an analogous quilt now.
  58. Understand the weaving process, warp and weft.
  59. Learn which direction of your fabric stretches. 
  60. Ease in to make your points match.
  61. Do a Y seam.
  62. Do it again.
  63. Follow a blogger about quilting.
  64. Follow a Instagram quilter. I did for awhile, found I'd rather just have family on instagram.
  65. Learn the math! If you forget, there are lots of references available.
  66. Design your own quilt, be creative.
  67. Do it the old way with graph paper.
  68. Do it the new way on the computer.
  69. Combine 2 blocks in quilt.
  70. Teach someone else to piece a quilt.
  71. Teach someone else how to quilt a quilt.
  72. Teach a child to quilt.
  73. Make a play thing for a child using your quilting skills.
  74. Make a bag.
  75. Quilt a bag. I've quilted about 4 bags.
  76. Display a quilt in your home. Many many quilts are displayed in my home.
  77. Make a piece of clothing. I made vests and skirts....now nothing in my wardrobe is quilted.
  78. Write directions on how to make a block. Did this for the guild...
  79. Finish a quilt that has languished for YEARS on the back burner.
  80. Make a quilted item for a gift.
  81. Make something for your kitchen using your skills.
  82. Organize your fabric.
  83. Donate some fabric to an organization that will use it.
  84. Use a ruler you bought.
  85. Use another one or give it away.
  86. Use a rotary cutter
  87. Replace the blade in your rotary cutter.
  88. Use scissors to cut out a block.
  89. Use templates to cut out a block.
  90. Test your markers.
  91. Try out a new kind of marker.
  92. Organize your sewing things.
  93. Check ergonomic ways of improving your posture or the height of your table.
  94. Learn some exercises to give your body relief after long stints of sewing.
  95. Put a water bottle near your sewing and drink it.
  96. Save your tiny scraps for a heavy pillow for heart patients.
  97. Dye some fabric to use in your quilt.
  98. Use someone else's hand dyed fabric.
  99. Use solids in your quilt (or prints if you only do solids.)
  100. Clean and oil your machine
Can you tell I accidentally hit publish instead of save... don't even have 100 on here yet...I'm going to edit it occasionally over the next few days and change things a bit...
This is really a difficult post...everytime I change the color, it flips to the wrong place....I can't stand to work on it for very long at a time.

1 comment:

Mel said...

Mom... you need to fix one of these, you did make a king size quilt. My wedding quilt is a king size.. for my queen bed, you said you'd make it king size just in case we ever get a king bed... maybe you should buy one for us.. otherwise we may never have one!! :)