Friday, April 17, 2009

Texas flag quilt


I have this picture as my header of my blog but I realized I've never told the story behind this quilt.

Five years ago our son was expecting his first child; Reed and Angela lived in Idaho but were Texans through and through so I decided to make them a quilt for the baby. I gave myself some guidelines;
  1. I HAD to use fabric that I had and hopefully use just scraps since they were taking over the sewing area.
  2. It would be nice if it was an I-Spy Quilt also.
  3. It had to be very washable and usable so it could be dragged around and not come apart.
After coming up with the flag idea I started the relaxed log cabins, using fabric strictly from my scrap bins but using as many 'I spy' kinds as I could find. While sewing I puzzled over the star portion; I knew that an appliqued star would have vulnerable areas where there would be hardly any fabric turned under so I thought I'd piece the star into the background (I'd recently read a book on piecing difficult shapes.) I did a sample and realized that the pieced star also had vulnerable spots that would likely fray with hundreds of washings so I couldn't use that method. I came up with a paper pieced relaxed log cabin block that gives the star 1/4 inch seams at the vulnerable spots that had eliminated the other 2 methods. This would holdup to many washings.

Then I quilted it with Texas designs; the Alamo, bluebonnets, an oil rig, and the word TEXAS as used in the Texas centennial. It was fabulous so I showed it to the quilt shop owner and she asked me to write the pattern to sell. So I did. I made the one pictured above for a model for the shop and eliminated the Texas quilt designs because some of them were copyrighted and gave the Texas themed one to my first grandchild; Tyler.
It has never been washed; It was too gorgeous and has always been on a wall. I could have appliqued the star and it would have been fine. Oh well, I made him a different quilt, one that was easy, a rail fence, and could clearly be used by the child.

I still sell the pattern to the local quilt shop. That shop is Quakertown Quilts. Here's a link to the shop.

*Quakertown Quilts no longer exists if you want the pattern e-mail me at lauriekstone@gmail.com

14 comments:

Amy Sp said...

This is great! Love the log cabin idea...if only it was an Arkansas quilt! Just kidding of course. It's a wonderful project that you designed.

Bunny said...

gorgeous! the quilting is lovely.

Angela S said...

We love our quilt. I just couldn't bear the thought of our projectile vomiter puking over it or peeing on it. We do need to hang that up again. I really really love our quilt.

Doris said...

How unique and special! I love it!

Quilter Kathy said...

Great quilt!
Love the quilting...especially the feathers!

Terri Stegmiller said...

Wonderful quilt!

Unknown said...

Beautiful quilt!! I love all the log cabins and the star is too perfect - I understand it not being used :) I have 4 of those little munckins, and they make messes :) Thank you for participating and sharing your story!

Anonymous said...

Lovely, lovely work. Truly gorgeous.

Diane said...

I really like the Texas quilt. I too am one who must live away from my beloved Texas. I have many items for decoration that tell everyone about my home state. What quilt shop do you sell your pattern at? I would love to buy it.

Mandy said...

What an amazing quilt. Thanks for telling it's story.

Robin said...

That is gorgeous! Definitely a work of art. Thanks so much for sharing the story.

txjanet said...

I have loved this quilt ever since i found it online years ago! (a cousin big into quilting lived in Friendswood back then) I am a displaced Texan too, in Washington State via New York state. I still hope to give it a try someday (i have little ones too). Thanks for sharing it with all of us!

Unknown said...

Love you Texas Flag Quilt for Tyler. What Quilt Shop we could purchase your pattern from? Is it in Texas? Thanks.

Laurie said...

I sell the pattern through Quakertown Quilts in Friendswood TX. I just looked on their new web site and it is not listed yet. They have it though so if you call them they can get it to you.