Sunday, January 16, 2011

Grandma's afghan

My Grandmother, Belle Elizabeth; my daughter, Elizabeth Rene; and my sister, Leah Rene, about 1988.

My Grandmother did not quilt much (One quilt taught her that quilting was not much fun.) but she knitted and crocheted for years. I have fond memories of her knitting in her big rocking chair in her living room. I still have the mittens and hat she knitted for me while a child. Towards the end of her life she crocheted Granny Squares,using up the bits and pieces of yarn she had leftover. She got several afghans put together but I got a kit of squares a few years after she died.
During one visit my Mother made we laid the squares out and safety pinned them together. A couple years later during our 2005 Hurricane Rita evacuation I sewed them together. Five years later I got to spend 6 days in the hospital with Jeffrey and my project was to crochet around them. I quizzed my mother about how Grandma finished hers and did mine the same. (Less decisions that way.) Three rows of black and then a yellow shell border. I had to get away from the hospital once and buy some more black and get some yellow yarn. Sunday night my husband helped me block it. It is 65" X 53 1/2"Monday morning my son thinks it should come off the floor, it will stay there until it is dry. I had to wait for 2 weeks while he used the room for a bedroom. Since his healing may take a few more weeks we (Roger and Andrew) got the recliner up to Jeffrey's room so he's sleeping up there now. He still can't get up if he lays down so the recliner works to give him a little independence and then I can get him his pills in the middle of the night. (It only took one time of Dad having to lift him up for us to figure out a better sleeping arrangement. )

4 comments:

Mel said...

Mom, that afghan is gorgeous I love it. I have a vague memory of great grandma sitting on the couch at grandma Belmears crocheting on afghan squares.

Peg - Happy In Quilting said...

that is stunning....well done on your finish

LiteMotif said...

The granny squares are beautiful. I found your blog after you commented on mine I love how that works.

Mel said...

I really love the afghan mom. If you ever can't figure out what to do with it, I am sure I can find a place for it. :)