Monday, July 27, 2015

snowman quilt

Sometimes I get a quilt to do that is just plain FUN to quilt. This snowman sampler/exchange was one of them.
 This is one of the first ones I quilted. Isn't that a lovely snowman?
I love this. Really gives me incentive to get some of MY sets of blocks together.
The back is minky, so this quilt will be quite snuggly on the couch every winter.

Sunday, July 26, 2015


I LOVE HAVING A SWIMMING POOL! It was fabulous when we had all the kids at home and it is fabulous when the grand-kids visit. And it is fabulous when I can get in and exercise by myself.
Just sitting near it is cooling. Not that I can stand to sit near it for long.
 Even the 2 month old enjoyed it.
 Noodles make it even more fun.
This squirt gun was too much for him to handle but he played with it anyway.
They brought this 'blob' from Colorado and it was a BIG hit after Uncle Andrew blew it up for them.

Saturday, July 25, 2015


I noticed that my 7 year old grandson wanted to experiment with s'mores this year so while they were here we made s'mores twice.
 The red pillar candles came in use to roast the marshmallows over. Took awhile but it was too hot outside. The first night was pretty standard, we just had miniature marshmallows to use. The second night I'd found some 'nutter butter' cookies to use instead of the graham crackers. 

Here you can see the wafer cookies under the chocolate, we only had enough cookies for open face s'mores, or cookie underneath and graham on top.
Fun and delicious. I also bought Reese's Peanut butter cups. A whole bag. Cannot find them. Still looking. oh well, something to experiment with for the next time we are together!

Wednesday, July 22, 2015

college, ready?

This week we did an exercise in getting ready for college....and How much money will he need for groceries? We made a list....not really we went to the grocery store and wandered around. This is what we decided he needed for a weeks worth of food;
3 large potatoes
5 cans of soup
2 cans green beans
1 bag of carrots
8 apples
pizza cheese
1 small bag of pancake mix
1 dozen eggs
1 bowl oriental soup

to be used from home;
1 jar spaghetti sauce
flour and sugar, yeast (for bread)
and flour tortillas

This is what we figured he cold fix from that;
homemade bread
camel eye
baked potatoe
hash browns
scrambeled eggs
french toast

Not sure this kid is going to keep himself alive when he leaves home.

any ideas?

Monday, June 15, 2015

sleeping bags

Two of our grandson's live in sunny California so when Mom and Dad want to go backpacking they do not want to pack 4lb sleeping bags that are too big and too warm for their boys. Grandma to the rescue....I made these in about 2 hours, matching pillows also.
60 inches of polar fleece folded in half stitched across the bottom and up 2/3rds. I had to add red for the red boy to like it so then I added blue to the blue boys also. The handle on the pillow is attached to the pillow; then the pillow case needed a hole for the handle to come through.
EASY to find out if they are loved and used....

Tuesday, June 9, 2015


Child #6! Graduated. Empty nest syndrome countdown! Andrew graduated with a 3.9 GPA and is going to attend BYU Provo in the fall.

Graduation speakers were short and had a good message. I got some knitting in since we had to be there 90 minutes early. After graduation he wanted to go to a Japanese restaurant so we googled it and chose one. Oishii. It happened to be happy hour and so we got to try 10 items on their happy hour list. The best? The fried banana! It was fun.

 Yesterday marked the first day of his real job. He is working for Source Web Solutions in Friendswood, TX. He (and we) are so excited for this opportunity for him to use his geekhood to monetary advantage!

Tuesday, May 26, 2015

sewing with grandkids....

I got to visit my daughter many miles away when she had her fourth boy! Everyone is doing great and I am back home.Grandchild #9 was born May 12, 2015.
This almost 2 year old fell in love with his new brother! So fun to see, so scary for Mom to have him want to hold him all. the. time.
I found one activity the older boys loved, sewing;

And what did they sew? The perfect project....We cut mom's old dish towels down to rags and folded them in thirds then the boy's got to choose a decorative stitch to hold the layers together with:

I know, not much to look at but the boys loved it! We used up odd bits of thread in the bobbins and maybe... the boys will enjoy using the rags they made for cleaning! We can only hope. They WANTED to use them as washcloths.
I had a great time and even managed to go to a thrift store where I found a couple of purple men's shirts that I needed for my current project. (The five year old informed me that men did not wear purple shirts....)
I was able to show him that they did.
I've been home a week so I should actually get something finished soon.....