Friday, February 4, 2011

Christmas Quilt

I started making Christmas log cabin quilts a long time ago. I made my parents-in-law one for Christmas 1985...?(blogged about here)
Then I made my parents one.(blogged about here.)
I also started one for us. I just finished the last of the blocks; 16, and then made the top. It only took me 20 years to get this far! Another 20 will see the borders, quilting AND binding on.
So now I no longer need the left over 1 1/2 " strips that I cut many moons ago. What to do with them? Here are some of my ideas:
  1. Store them in a bag in a dark closet and NEVER think of them again.
  2. Incorporate them into my box of 1 1/2 " strips. Would they ever get used that way? Questionable.
  3. Put them in my basket to give to the guild member that is making pillows for heart patients. (They use fabric scraps for the inside to make a very firm pillow.)
  4. Give them away; would any one want these strips that are old and fraying a bit? Maybe the guilds auction would take them off my hands and then...someone would PAY $$$ for them at our auction....more like they would pay pennies for them.
  5. Make as many 12 1/2" Christmas blocks that I can to donate to my guild; that way I would have a bigger chance of getting another Christmas Quilt next Christmas. (See story here.)
  6. Sew them together randomly and see what you get?
  7. Use them as package ties for our Christmas gifts for the next 5 years?
  8. Get creative, design a whole new block that no one has ever thought of and become famous (in the quilt world) for using up every bit of fabric.

What would YOU do?
Stay tuned I'll show you what I came up with ...soon.... (Well before 20 years is up.)

Andrew is finishing his Eagle project tomorrow and I'd better get busy making them snacks.

1 comment:

Sue Bridges said...

These are wonderful. They are well worth the amount of work and time you put into them.