Thursday, August 19, 2010

Grandma's flower garden quilt top

I remember shopping with my Mother years ago and she made the comment that 'I try not to buy work for myself.' Actually I thought it an odd comment then; not now.
I belong to 2 Quilt Guilds and they each have an auction each year to raise money for the guild. I really didn't want to go Monday night but since I had responsibilities to the guild I went. That comment of my Mother's went through my head over and over. I was not strong. I bought some work for my self: (click on it to enlarge it)
This 1930's top. Hand pieced. Lays flat. Unfinished. Interesting set. About 78 X 90. The sides are very straight but the ends either need half blocks or something.....(look on the upper right and you can see the 'holes' that will need filling.) There were some blocks also. It is really pretty; and the yellow is very bright. So now I have project #83? It also caused me to ask myself these questions:
  • Does this mean that since I have 5 children I need to find 5 antique quilt tops to finish so I can give one to each of them?
  • Is this the start of a bizaar new addiction; buying other's unfinished work since I don't have enough of my own?
  • or is it just the start of a collection of Grandma Flower Gardens?
  • will this look good folded at the foot of Andrew's bed; on top of his yellow and green pinwheel quilt?
  • Should I stop everything and finish this next?
  • Does it count as a WISP (work in slow progress) if it newly acquired?
  • Should I, instead of taking my sewing machine and iron and cutting board, table and chair, just take this, to guild quilt retreat, and applique it to a background so I can have even edges?

Enquiring minds want to know.

4 comments:

Liz Johnston said...

NO. A little bird told me that other children got their wedding quilts at 2.5 years and her I am pasted the 3.5 mark and nothing.. :( Jk it will look great with As quilt

Mel said...

Good luck! It looks like a fun project. Antique quilts are so interesting!

Patty Cake said...

I'm sorry but I could not find a picture. It sounds very interesting though.

Tamera said...

Goodness, you have LOTS of questions, lol. I think you'll have to come up with the answers as time passes, he he he.