Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Treadle 66

We have been looking at stationary bikes for me to exercise on. I made a comment once that I'd noticed that using Grandma's Treadle sewing machine was a leg workout....soooo we moved the treadle from the entry to the living room and put a chair in front of it.
Going to the internet I was able to discover that it was made in 1910. The model number is 66-16. It works but I am trying to figure out how to purchase the missing parts. When I got it after Grandma's death it was missing the post for the thread and missing the bobbin case cover. I have another old sewing machine that I stole the cover from and it almost fits. It is sew-able although there is a gap of 1/4" when the plate is closed as I can get it. Here are some details of this beautiful machine;

 The decal design is called 'red eye'.

The front shows the old bobbin style, I've never seen this kind of bobbin.
 Even the back is beautiful.
The bobbins with the holes were wrapped in paper with a label,'bobbins for Grandma's treadle machine'. They do not fit. The other do.

I have 2 gizmos like this...a ruffler? gatherer? The internet told me to not use any household cleaners on the body, just oil. So I've rubbed it down but it needs a bit more tender loving care. I've ordered polish for the chrome bits and am continuing to research how to take care of it. Now I'm trying to decide which project I want to make using this machine.

Getting ready to post this I called my Mother to get any information she may have about it. This machine was around her whole childhood. Since I don't think Grandma bought the machine when she was 12 we're pretty sure she bought it used.
Grandma made ALL of my Mother's clothing on it.  Mother had store bought socks. ALL of her underwear, dresses, etc, and coats were homemade. Her underclothing all had little bits of embroidery, on everything. Polly also worked full time, had a huge garden, canned their food and took care of a sick husband. 
Mother started dusting it when she was very young, probably 3. Grandma told her that her little hands could get in and dust it much better than her bigger hands. Mom dusted it until she left home. (Then I'm sure she dusted it when she visited; I know she dusted it when she came to my house.)

1 comment:

Liz Johnston said...

Sweet story. Glad the machine is still enjoyed.