I'm afraid that this year is no exception. We are getting ready to move. Not just move, but MOVE. My husband is being transferred to Saudi Arabia in the Spring and I am going with him. I have always wanted to travel and thought living overseas would be fabulous. Of curse I picture myself over 'there' young and thin; riding a gondola or driving on the left side of the road, gazing at tulips or hiking the alps. I never pictured myself being overseas old, fat and wearing an all encompassing black dress.
However I think it will be interesting visiting souks (old markets) and scuba diving in the Persian Gulf.(Yes, I have passed the classes for scuba diving.) I have had many people tell me it is fabulous over there and I think it will be great. One couple we are friends with left for SA 4 years? ago and said it was like living at camp; only for adults. Lots of activities and travel opportunities planned with the expatriates in mind.
We will be living in a furnished apartment (2 bedroom) or villa (3 bedroom) in a compound in Jubail. We start the visa process Monday.
I have so many questions. Today I'm worrying about my raggedy ann dolls. Do I
- put them in un-air-conditioned storage for 3 years?
- give to Goodwill?
- give to grandsons? (why would they want them?)
- are they covered on the 'no graven image' ban Saudi has? I know no statues are allowed and no stuffed animals, but what about dolls? stuffed dolls?
- take them with me?
- at least the 'Brian' one?
- carry them in my checked luggage or
- carry-on luggage or
- send in the big air shipment or
- send in the 'slow boat to china' shipment.
These dolls sit in a basket by my computer (their 'job' is to hide the cords) and take up about 1 square foot of space. If I have to think this much about every square foot of my home, my brain will explode.
* We decided not to move, 2 days before my husband was to leave.