Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Marinated mushrooms



Imagine my shock when I went to make these today and could not find the recipe on my blog. I had to hunt it up. I've made these for about 20 years; so here is the WONDERFUL marinated mushroom recipe;
MARINATED MUSHROOMS
WONDERFUL!
From ‘The Working Person’s Cookbook by Charlotte Erickson1979
These mushrooms are often served in the Stone house, and were served at Melissa and Liz’s wedding.
1 pound mushrooms
3 teaspoons salt
1 cup olive oil
4 cloves garlic, minced
½ cup vinegar
About 6 drops onion juice
Finely chopped fresh herbs (optional)

Select only very fresh, firm mushrooms. The best are the large fat ones with short stems. Do not select mushrooms with flattops and dark gills showing beneath, as they discolor. Soak mushrooms in cold water for 5 minutes to loosen any soil. Put them into a plastic bag and fill it with sufficient water to generously cover the mushrooms. Hold the bag closed with one hand and agitate vigorously with the other. Drain in colander. If they are not completely clean, repeat. Trim stem ends if needed and place mushrooms in a large heavy skillet (no shortening is needed). Sprinkle salt over the mushrooms and simmer, covered, over moderate heat for 15 minutes. Remove from heat and drain. Meanwhile, mix the remaining ingredients and pour into the glass container in which you are going to store your mushrooms. Add warm mushrooms, cover, and allow them to marinate at room temperature overnight. Stir occasionally and refrigerate.
These mushrooms are especially delicious in a tossed salad. Slice mushrooms in half if they are large and toss a generous amount in your salad. Serve with vinegar and oil dressing.
VARIATION: Use the same marinade and the same procedure with frozen artichoke hearts, green pepper squares, or any other vegetable.(I have never done anything except mushrooms.)
(I did 8 lbs. for Liz’s wedding. 12-9-06)
Roger and I LOVE these. Once we went to a catered dinner that served marinated mushrooms....no where near as good as these. So the first batch;
 a bit too many mushrooms for the amount of liquid..I used more than a lb. of mushrooms. So I went to the store and bought more mushrooms. These were large so I cut them in half. Here they are with the salt in the bottom of my big saucepan.
After cooking, about 15 minutes: I drain the juice since it is very salty.
 Now this looks like enough for Thanksgiving and Christmas.
It sits on the counter overnight, I shake it occasionally then it will go in the refrigerator. It does have to come to room temperature before serving since the olive oil will solidify in the fridge.Save the marinade and use for salad dressing! Yum!

Really a great addition to the relish tray. (Even though I don't think the pilgrims fixed this.)

p.s. Once again I went out on a limb and had marinated mushrooms at a salad bar....yuck. This are still MUCH better than any I have ever tasted.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Love them an so east to make.

Unknown said...

Just made them, so easy. love them. How long to they last in Frig