Monday, October 20, 2008

tomato potato soup

Jessica over at Turkeycookies is having a soup swap and this is one of my favorties; My all-time favorite you can find if you click on soups in my sidebar. This is one of my comfort foods; serve with a toasted cheese sandwich to make a great meal. 
TOMATO POTATO SOUP
from Joy of Cooking

Sauté very gently until translucent 
2 cups sliced onion in
¼ cup butter 
Add the onions to:
2 cups sliced potatoes
6 cups boiling water
Simmer about 30 minutes. Add and simmer covered, about 20 minutes: 
5 cups seeded sliced tomatoes or 3 cups canned tomatoes
2 teaspoons sugar
1 teaspoon salt 
1/8 teaspoon paprika
(A pinch of chervil)
Put the soup through a fine strainer or blender reheat and season to taste
Scald: 
(1 cup cream)
Stir the tomato mixture into the cream; serve at once.
Yield 12 cups
Tomato/potato soup ala mom: I use a small amount of olive oil instead of butter. I use a bag of frozen hash browns then not quite cover them with chicken broth, cook until done, then process with the tomatoes. Leave out the chervil and the cream. Add a dash of Tabasco or chili powder then salt and enough pepper to add a bite to it. Yummy!

Just typing this makes me hungry for this soup. Unfortunately due to my husbands allergy to ragweed we won't be eating this until the ragweed is finished around here. Strange as it may seem while he is having an allergic reaction to ragweed he also reacts to tomatoes, cucumbers, lettuce and sunflower seeds.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

sounds yummy!! am adding this to my list (I think I've added all the soup swap recipes to my list!!)

Jessica said...

This tomato-potato soup sounds great! So warm and yummy on a cool day, for sure! I'm glad you joined in on this swap-I've enjoyed reading away at your blog! Jessica