Saturday, June 28, 2008

oatmeal cookies

A million years ago when I was a young mother I happened to find this cookbook; Make A Mix Cookery; my edition has a copyright date of 1978! My copy is in sad shape; dogeared, stained, scribbled in and torn. (note; if any of your kids scribble in one of your books take the time to note which child and when they did it...I wish I had.) I had to punch hole in the edge to put in a notebook since it fell apart on me. Our favorite mix was the Oatmeal Cookie Mix. It was made hundreds of times and is used in my favorite cookie. I made it (the cookie, not the mix) 3 times while visiting my grandkids last weekend. Evidently the new generation likes them also.

Oatmeal Cookie adapted from the above cookbook
3/4 cup butter (the original was shortening)
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
2 beaten eggs
1/2 milk
2 teaspoons vanilla

1 cup flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 cups quick oats
1/2 old fashioned oats

1 cup chocolate chips
1 cup chopped pecans

bake 350 about 11 minutes
I scoop them onto parchment or a silicon mat so I never have to grease the cookie sheets.
I really wanted to make another batch today but I controlled myself.

We also loved the brownie mix, the all-purpose quick mix and the granola mix. It's easy to tell which recipes we liked the most since they are the most stained.
I also have the 'More Make A Mix cookbook and it has a yummy soup recipe in it...Hearty Beef Chowder ...oh so good.

1 comment:

mill said...

I <3 oatmeal cookies! Will definitely have to try out your recipe :)