Monday, September 14, 2015

Julie's quilt

I really did stay busy this summer. Too busy sometimes. I was asked, very sweetly, to quilt a quilt for our only granddaughter. She had been given a vintage top, it only needed a simple panto....HA!
Unfortunately it was stained so they washed it before sending it to me. Oh dear, parts shrank way more than other parts, and no, I didn't take a before picture. I decided to take it apart and resew it. After it was apart I decided it would be easier to replace the fabric. Luckily for me I couldn't get 2 shades of turquoise so I got to eliminate the 4-patches in the corner stones and simplify the quilt.
 Here is my eq7 version of the original. The applique blocks are not very accurate, but they are tulips, there are 3 of them in each block, and they are bright colors.
This is the computer version of what I changed it to:
I think I improved it. Softened the colors somewhat and eliminated the 4-patch (I couldn't find 2 shades of turquoise.) Then I HAD to custom quilt it.
This still has the markings on it but I outlined the tulips then did a double square in the background and a simple meander.
 I used a large plate to trace a partial circle, then I used a cup and a can to trace different size circles in an arc in the border. I quilted an apple blossom in each small circle, the did a simple meander in the background. The bottom of the quilt got her name; Julie Grace.
My son designed the name on the computer in 5 inch high letters. I glued them to freezer paper and cut them out. After ironing them on the border I traced around each letter, then removed the freezer paper. Then I quilted around each letter twice, added some flowers and meandering and finished;

Here you can see the backing fabric and one of the 2 pillowcases I made her.
I LOVED the way it turned out!

1 comment:

Mel said...

Wow!!! That is gorgeous!