Wednesday, October 2, 2013

White not Rotel dip

I had some white 'rotel' dip about a year ago that was lovely so I made some.Then again and again....This is what I served Sunday night....made it Saturday and put it in the crock pot crock and set it in the refrigerator until 6 hours before the party Sunday....
White Not-Rotel Dip
(I cannot handle the spiciness of even the mild Rotel)
1 onion diced and softened in 
1 Tablespoon oil add 
1 lb hot pork sausage, and fry until no pink remains. (I couldn't get my lumps small enough -my pancake turner is very weak-so I threw it in the food processor for a few seconds. I still wanted lumps of meat just not big lumps of meat.) Add
1 (14.5 oz.) can of diced tomatoes and then blend and add another
(14.5 oz.) can of diced tomatoes then add
1 (8 oz) cream cheese and 
1 large container of Kraft queso cheese, white (next to the velveeta), cut up..or torn into chunks (which is what I did). Once it is melted and stirred it can be refrigerated at this point. Heat, then right before serving add some 
cilantro

That's what I made this time. I have made it with frozen spinach added. I would have put cumin in but we had cumin in the salsa and I didn't want to repeat the same spice. I did thin it with just a little bit of heavy cream....maybe 1/4 -1/3 cup, could have used milk.
Salsa
(Mom style..I cannot stand any heat)
I read Ree's recipe and then did what I knew I could eat.
1 large can of tomatoes, diced or whole put in food processor with
3 cloves garlic
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon salt
juice of 1 lime
1 chipolte seasoning cube 
1 small can of mild chiles. blend everything together, dump into a big bowl then add to food processor another large can of tomatoes add the 
top 2/3 of a bunch of cilantro (stems are fine) add
1 jalapeno, diced with NO seeds or pith;then blend.add to same large bowl. Stir. (Can you tell I have a smallish food processor?) Add
1 onion, diced finely. Stir. (putting the onion in the food processor makes it much stronger...we like it better this way.) I like it better when I add 1/2 teaspoon sugar...but many here do not. I also had some smoked powdered tomato that I added for awhile and sometimes I'll throw in some fresh tomatoes too. After I make this Jeffrey takes half and makes it HOT! 2 ghost peppers seeds and all, anything and everything he has will get added. I do not touch his salsa! He made the salsa, double what is here and heated up half of it and we clearly labeled it HOT and mine mild! Many did half and half 'cause his was too hot for them.

I think that brings me to the end of the 'Open House ' recipes. I hope your next party is as fun as this one was for us.

No comments: