Saturday, August 11, 2012

Waxed Rock

I saw this over at the Artful Parent and thought it would be a good activity for my grandchildren. We brought some rocks home from our little jaunt into Bastrop State Park Sunday. (No rocks in this part of Texas-although I have brought some into our yard from trips and even purchased some for my flower pots).
Carter chose this rock. I washed it and put it n the oven for 30 minutes at 350. Then on a piece of parchment paper and a cookie sheet we talked about how hot the rock was. How we needed to be careful not to touch the rock then Carter (4) started drawing on it. It wasn't long before he just held the crayon and watched the wax melt, then his mother started 'helping' then Andrew (15) got involved. I told them to back off but to no avail.....then I was contributing. It was fun. We will do this again when more of the grandkids get here. No one got burned but the 2 year old was asleep.

No comments: