Sunday, July 29, 2012

Baltimore album applique




This is the first needle turn applique I ever did. The green is one piece of fabric with the large rose bud dimensional and the small one's not. I learned a valuable lesson. I was stitching away and did all those tiny curves where the leaf joins the stem with no problem, my neighbor was obviously not as good as I was since her little curves were fraying.... I patted myself on the back and told myself I much better my sewing was than hers. However when we started another block and I used the same fabric she had been using I had the same problem, fraying in the tight corners. It was the fabric, not the seamstress. Both fabrics were purchased at quilt stores... Choose your fabric wisely, a tight weave will applique much better than a loose weave.
Here is the back...
I remember the instructor telling me that my stitches could be a bit bigger...I finished this in January 1990. When I had 4 young children. I found that if I got angry or frustrated (so rare!) with the children I could stitch on this a few minutes and I would calm down....I did several applique blocks that year. Eventually I'll get back to it....

2 comments:

Angie in SoCal said...

Those are small stitches. And you're right about the weave of a fabric for applique. I used a Kaffe Fassett recently for an applique piece. What a disaster. I took it apart and heavily starched it and was able to do it. I've learned my lesson. If that is your first piece of applique - you are a natural, Laurie!

Laurie said...

I need to clarify; this was not my first applique, it was my first needle turn applique. I had done some freezer-paper-glue stick applique before.