My inspiration was last years valentine. I loved the way they turned out and tried to come up with a fabric version without buying any fabric... Since the zipper was pink - I had no red zipper - I used a pink fabric for the lining and the loose heart. The background is from a linen jumper I bought at a thrift store last year for $.99.
- I cut hearts out of a piece of freezer paper,
- ironed the freezer paper with the holes in it down and
- stenciled some white fabric paint into the holes. When that was dry
- I used a rubber stamp and staz-on brown ink to 'write' on the hearts. Added batting, then
- quilted around the hearts
- ironed a scrap of pink fabric back to back with wonder under,
- cut out a pink heart,
- sewed it down the middle. Instead of backstitching I pulled the threads to the back side,
- knotted them and fray-checked them.
- then made it into a zipper pouch like this. Only I was unable to move my needle on my sewing machine, so could not use the zipper foot. That was a little tricky.
zipper status: I've made 16 zipper pouches and now am down to 58 zippers.