Sunday, September 18, 2011

Nutella

Nutella is not vegan. It was one of my kids' favorite treats but they would not eat it after they gave up dairy. Two weeks ago Andrew and I tried our hand at making a vegan nutella. We used this recipe. It was very good but getting the skins of the hazelnuts was a difficult job. These nuts were particularly tough to skin. (I've done it before and it was easy...was our oven not working hot enough?) It took about an hour. I started looking for blanched hazelnuts and found that they were $9.99 @ lb plus shipping.
Today I made nutella again but this time I used almonds. Cheaper and we liked it better.

Almond Nutella

2 cups almonds, raw, with the skins on!
1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
bit of vegetable oil
bit of salt
1 T. cocoa powder
1 T. powdered sugar

Grind the almonds in the food processor until smooth...you have to feel them to check. Mine still looked a bit grainy but they were not. It still took a while in the food processor....10 minutes? about that. Melt the chocolate with about a teaspoon of oil; add to nut mixture. Add the rest of the ingredients and taste. I had to add a little more oil to get it to a spreading consistency.

The only thing we had to taste it with was some wheat thins. I laid down after eating about 3. Ten minutes later I came out of my room and the bowl was empty. I guess they liked it. :)
The hazelnut spread lasted a week. The Almond one 10 minutes.

No comments: