I was going to do piping but didn't want to make it myself and their's looked dirty, not white. So I pulled out the ball fringe and the rick rack and I love both of them.
Can't decide on a word yet. I'm thinking 'promises'.
If you want to do this:
- find a sky blue velour jacket for .49 at the thrift store; or substitute a different fabric
- cut the back out bigger than you think you need; I didn't and it is not centered and needs to be trimmed anyway
- iron on interfacing; I used a lightweight but I think a heavier weight would work better; all those buttons get heavy
- I used washed white wool for the clouds
- use a single length of thread doubled so your needle does not come un-threaded every time you drop the needle; and you will drop the needle
- I used embroidery floss for most of my thread so it would match the buttons
- tie a know after sewing on each button but don't cut the thread
- I spaced each row 5/8 " apart; you may need less or more depending on the size of your buttons
- mark lines with a water soluble marker; I used crayola brand washable markers for kids
- shank buttons were a pain but that's what I had
- turning a button over to get a bit more variety is allowed
- 3/4 of the way through your row lay the buttons back on to check for spacing again
- frame it or make it into a pillow
Which do you vote for Balls or Rick-Rack?
I finished it and posted it here. (I used Rick-Rack and Balls)