Saturday, March 19, 2011

New Whole Wheat bread Recipe

Last week I picked up one of my favorite magazines. Cook's Illustrated. They had a different recipe for Whole Wheat bread that worked out beautifully.
The night before you're going to make bread combine the wheat flour and wheat germ with the water. Set it in the refrigerator over night; that's called the soaker.
Also mix up the 'Biga' A mixture of water, flour and yeast. It sits on the counter overnight.
The next day you combine the 2 and more ingredients and let it rise, and rise, and rise.
After baking we got 2 incredibly high light 3/5 whole wheat bread. In fact my family doesn't like their bread this light and fluffy...(but it is almost gone, less than 24 hours out of the oven-that's how much they don't like it.)
If you are inspired to get the recipe...in the mag. I did do a couple things different:
  • I used water, not milk
  • I used all-purpose flour with 2 tablespoons of gluten added
  • I added 2 tablespoon of dough enhancer to the final mixing
  • used olive oil instead of butter
  • added 1/4 cup of whole wheat flour
Interesting experiment and tonight when I start bread again I'll use the concepts but change the proportions of wheat to white to make it a bit denser.

1 comment:

Osage Bluff Quilter said...

Have you seen the book 5 minute Arisan bread? I bought it a couple of months ago and we are loving the bread. Baking it on a stone with steam creates a different texture and crust.
Patti