Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Cookbook

A few years ago I went to a thrift store and found a cookbook and sent it to my daughter. Yesterday I found another one:Yeah! This one I'm keeping but it will take awhile to eliminate the old since I like to write in my cookbooks;
notes and dates (the 87 means I tried this recipe for the first time in 1987). If we didn't like it I would write that too. I need to transfer the notes over to the new cookbook..which was printed in 1983. Just a bit younger than my original;
which is 1976-the year I got married. Looking through it quickly did not show any changes. Yes, I paid $1.59 for it which is much less than the original price. You can go over to Amazon and pay a bunch more if you want it soon. Me? I'm happy to look at thrift store hoping to find something for a low price.
If you are Ve-gan like we are trying to be this may not be the best cookbook for you. I'm going to try some more of their soup recipes and let you know. One of my favorite soups comes from this cookbook and it will be easy to make it ve-gan.
Potato Soup with Tomatoes
Saute until translucent:
2 cups onion
in:
1/4 cup butter
Add the onion to:
2 cups sliced potatoes
6 cups boiling water
Simmer, about 30 minutes. Add and simmer, covered, about 20 minutes:
5 cups seeded sliced tomatoes or 3 cups canned tomatoes
2 teaspoons sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon paprika
a pinch of chervil
Put the soup through a fine strainer or blend in your blender.
Reheat and:
season to taste
Scald:
1 cup cream
Stir the tomatoe mixture into the cream. Serve at once.

That's the original. I only added the cream the first time I made it. It is delicious without it. The 'season to taste' includes a bit of tobasco, pepper and salt. I only ever used canned tomatoes, it would be amazing with homegrown. I often use a bag of frozen hash-browns for the potatoes; makes it a fast easy soup...well, fast with a stick blender. I've never added the chervil....not a spice in my cabinet back in the 80's and 90's.

1 comment:

Paula said...

I do the same thing with my cookbooks, most of which I find at used book sales. Then once I've found recipes I love, I copy them onto the computer, print them and put them in a binder with sheet protectors. These I keep in the kitchen for easy access when making up my menus for the week, and my shopping list. I'm compiling my own cookbook with recipes we all love. :)