Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Cabbage soup

Monday I went to a local Greek cafe and ordered their cabbage soup. I was disappointed; so decided to make my own tonight. I had a head of Savoy cabbage in the fridge, unfortunately when it was time to put it in I realized that the whole head needed to be tossed. I added 3 potatoes to the soup and left to get Andrew with instructions to check the soup every 5 minutes....guess what, I got home 1 hour later and the soup was still bubbling. So I knew dinner was going to be a bust. I was wrong. It tastes great!
Cabbage-less Cabbage Soup
1 onion-chopped and fried in a bit of oil
2 boxes chicken broth
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
several dashes of tobasco
freshly ground pepper
1 small bag of carrots
3 stalks of celery-chopped
3 potatoes-large dice
1/2 of a package soft tofu (blended with some of the broth first)
(if you do have cabbage, slice it and put it in for the last 5 minutes of cooking)

I just got back from the grocery store so I'll slice some cabbage into some of the broth for tomorrow night. (I do not want to cook the potatoes anymore though so I'll dip some of the broth out and dirty another pan to cook it in.)

If you try it cabbage version or not let me know. Please :)

No comments: