Monday, January 24, 2011

soup

I have several cookbooks that I really like. We have loved almost everything I've tried from them. They are 'The Best American Recipes series' by Fran McCullough and Molly Stevens. I have about 6 of them, the authors try to test many recipes that were written in a specified year. Unfortunately with us cutting down on our meat and dairy there are very few recipes in them that I can use unchanged. In the 2005-2006 issue I found this soup:
cape cod portuguese kale soup
1 cup small white beans
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 large onion, diced
1 tablespoons chopped garlic
12 cups chicken broth or vegetable broth
1 pound spicy spanish corizo sausage or kielbasa cut up
1 pound kale, washed, stemmed and chopped
3 cups cubed potatoes
1 tablespoon salt
black pepper to taste
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
Soak the beans in cold water overnight, drain and set aside.
Heat the oil in a heavy bottomed pot over medium heat. Saute the onion for 3 minutes. add the garlic and saute for 1 minute more. Add the beans and the broth. Simmer.
Add the meat and cook gently for 1 hour. Add the remaining ingredients and continue cooking for 1 hour more stirring often
Adjust the seasoning and serve.

Well, that sounds like a dandy recipe but I had 20 minutes before it was time to pick up Andrew and we needed to eat right after that.
Soooo, I sauted the onion, added the broth and 2 cans of white beans, drained. When it started to boil I added the kale, some garlic powder, and covered it and turned off the heat. Left out the meat altogether. When I got home I zapped some red potatoes and then cut them into chunks and tossed them in the soup.
We added the salt and pepper at the table. I forgot the vinegar.

WE LOVED IT.

1 comment:

Suzanne said...

You cook just like I do -cook books are for inspiration!