Thursday, January 13, 2011

9-patches

Monday I got down on the floor, so painful, but I did it and opened a drawer on the bottom of my projects dresser. There I found 3 different 9-patch collections. Knowing I had more I went hunting. Two sets were found in my closet that I'd forgotten completely about; they were given to me to use for charity quilts....my bad. I will have to hustle and get them together since I've had them over a year. I kept looking though 'cause I thought there was a bigger set, from 1982. I found them up high in an unlabeled box. (It wasn't so hard since most of the boxes WERE labeled.) (Since I figured out how to write on the pictures, I left it big so you can double click and actually see what I typed.)
I have sets in these sizes (in no particular order):
  • 8 3/4" hand pieced Charity blocks from Guild
  • 4 1/2" scrappy Exchange 1989? 74 blocks
  • 4 1/2" Amish Charity blocks from Guild
  • 3" Amish Exchange 1990? 12 blocks
  • 3" scrappy exhange Exchange 1996 14 blocks
  • 2 1/4" blue and white Exchange 1995 These were so fun I just kept going like the Everready bunny.... 180 blocks
  • 2 1/4" red and white Exchange 1995 ditto/the bunny again. Only 63 blocks
  • 6" exchange all dark corners....done about 1988. 91 blocks.
Monday night at midnight I sewed the first set together. The blue squares were in the bag with the 9-patches along with a diagram of how to sew them together. Someone was on the ball. They took 1 hour to sew together! My part is done and they go back to the guild! Great to have them done.
The third set; Amish 9-patches;
One of the big blocks were sewn together. I vaguely remember someone saying to just sew them together; so I did. This took a wee bit longer, maybe 4 hours since there was some ripping to do too and lost of seams to match. Now I have another top to take to the guild.
One woman is in charge of Charity Quilts and she puts together bags of quilt kits. So when I pass this back to her she will cut a back and a batting for it, then tie them together and next month a quilter will pick it up and quilt it. Then it goes back and someone who likes to bind may pick it up the next month and bind it. That way our guild makes close to 300 quilts a year for charity. The goal is to have one for each member to donate. I quilted 4 last year....but these are the first of the tops I've put together for them.
So my pile of 9-patches is now smaller and will go back in the drawer. I did design a setting for 1 set in EQ7.
What do you think of this alternate set? The strips are just wider.better? or worse? Position them on your screen so that parts of both show and stand back to compare them.
I may have to actually make this.

3 comments:

Mad about Craft said...

I like the narrower stips myself

Whatever they will be lovely.

Diane said...

either will be great-I really can't decide one over the other.

Quilter Kathy said...

That is one heck of a collection of 9 patches...wow! Lots of great quilts there!