Friday, December 10, 2010

Fruitcake

Many years ago I decided to send my parents fruitcake for Christmas. I found 3 very different recipes and made them. We decided the Lemon Extract one was our favorite and so that's the one I decided to make last night.
First of all it is badly named. It SHOULD be called 'Nut Cake' or simply 'Butter Cake" since pecan and butter have equal billing.LEMON BUTTER FRUIT CAKE

Baytown newspaper about 1993. Made in 1994 and 1995 and subsequent years.

1 lb. butter, room temperature

1 lb. brown sugar (2 cups)

6 eggs

1 oz lemon extract (3 T.=1 oz.)

4 cups flour mixed with 1 teaspoon baking powder

½ lb. candied cherries

½ lb. candied pineapple

1 lb. pecans (floured)

Cream together butter, brown sugar. Add eggs, lemon extract. Add flour and baking powder. Add fruit and nuts. Grease 2 bread pans, divide dough between them. Let stand overnight. Bake 250 2 hours. Bake in tube pan 200 for 3 hours.

I baked mine in the loaf pans for 3 hours. I used dark brown sugar; light brown sugar makes it a lighter color.

So good. I have a fruit cake cookie that I love too... I'll post it soon.

No comments: