Sunday, November 14, 2010

Bread recipe

I've made this a couple of times recently.A plain rustic loaf of bread. The easiest ever bread to make. I took notes while watching a u-tube video about it and since the notes were real rough...why does it mention red wine vinegar? I just did what I understood.
3 cups flour
1 1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon yeast-that's right only 1/4 teaspoon yeast
1 1/2 cups water (I've had to add water to this every time 1/4-1/2 cups more)

Stir dry ingredients together.
Add water, stir a bit to combine.
Cover with cellophane and place in a warm place for ...oh about 24 hours...
Then I stirred it down and then placed into a greased dutch oven; cover and let raise about an hour or 2
Preheat oven to 425 bake 25-30 minutes.
(The first loaf I added some oats to the surface thinking I needed something to keep it from sticking as I transferred it to the dutch oven; that's why you see oats on it.)

Every one likes it. It is moist, a little holey, chewy and very good with jam. (Unless you added garlic powder which is what the last batch had added to it; then it is great with cheese.)

Jeffrey started his first 2 batches tonight; so we'll have fresh bread for Family Home Evening tomorrow night.Here's a u-tube video that shows more details and shows them preheating the dutch oven....I didn't do that.

2 comments:

Angela S said...

The boys made french bread at the discovery center (you guys should go with us sometime you're here its fun) and since then have been begging me to make it. I Think it just had salt water yeast and flour. I might try this one day. Your sweet son made fabulous biscuits today and when I batted my eyes said he'd make me GF biscuits...that is something I haven't had since my diagnosis. I'm pumped I even cleaned the kitchen so it would be ready for him when he gets back from stake priesthood meeting. Oh and Ty liked the phone call the other day.

Micha said...

Is this the NY times one? I've made it a ton and it's my favorite too. I don't recall anything about vinegar though - I watched the video the first time but use the print article now when I'm going to make it.