Sunday, October 17, 2010

bad habits

Years ago I started baking on Sunday afternoons. I had 4 young children and we rotated which child would be in the kitchen with Mom. We made some yummy stuff. Hip padding stuff. For years.
Now I have only 2 children at home and we try very hard not to bake goodies....still Sunday afternoons I am drawn to the kitchen. Then I walk away. Then I pick up a couple of cookbooks and look for a recipe. Nothing fits my mood and the ingredients in the kitchen. I found a cranberry oatmeal chocolate chip cookie that sounds good- no fresh cranberries. I found a scone recipe-no oranges. I finally decided to work with brownies-I always have the ingredients for brownies. Wait, aren't I dieting? Okay, so lets see if we can find a very small recipe for brownies that after sharing with 3 boys will leave me only a few bites. I considered cutting one down but first I went to the Internet. BINGO!

Brownies for 2
adapted from www.food.com
1/4 cup butter
2 T. special dark cocoa
1 large egg
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup flour
1/4 teaspoon baking powder

1/8 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup chocolate chips
1/4 cup coconut
preheat oven to 350
butter a 8x4x2 loaf pan
cream butter with sugar and cocoa
beat in egg and vanilla
combine the dry ingredients and add to the creamed mixture
stir until combined then add chips and coconut
spread in pan
bake 20-25 minutes

Makes 8 brownies. I think this will work to call the napper out of his bed....
Nuts are better than coconut, but coconut is pretty good.
He just woke up; it's the best smile he could give.
We should rename these 'blackies' but they were good!
(Jeffrey plays in the marching band; Friday night there was a game and he got home at 11:30. Saturday he had to get up 7 to go to a contest that got him home this morning at 1:30. This is after a week of 5 a.m. wake ups to get to band by 6:15. And since church was at 9 he was one tired boy.)

2 comments:

Angela S said...

Hey i like J's picture...I just woke up myself from a 3 hour nap or so to discover it was bedtime...good night!

Mel said...

Wow! I am so proud of you! Keep it up! I love seeing pictures of the boys, quilts are great but really.. boys are better.