Saturday, May 8, 2010

Scuba diving

Although we got a great deal in paying for these scuba lessons we had a marathon of learning. 3 hours Thursday night, 5.5 hours Friday night. We had the final at 11P.M. and then the first group had their dive this morning at 8 A.M. Luckily we got the noon time so we 'dove' from 1-5:30. In cold water with no sunshine. The last group started after us. I have no idea when they finished...9:30? The instructor got in the water about 8:30 A.M. and finished ...late. I bet he's beat. I'm exhausted.

First the pack is heavy and we 'got' to try lots of new things; like putting a heavy pack off and on at the bottom of the pool. I found breathing through my nose especially hard; it's necessary to clear the water out of your goggles. No water breaks or potty breaks either. And did I mention that the pack is heavy?

That effortless glide you see scuba divers doing? It takes a bit of practice to get....None of us got it. The pool was too small and we worked on 'skills' necessary to save your life underwater ....things like sharing a tank of air. I guess we get to do the effortless glide in 2 weeks when we are in a lake.

No comments: