Wednesday, February 3, 2010

cookies?


These cookies? are like pie, but better. While getting ready for our last wedding I went shopping at Whole Foods and purchased one of their packages of fresh cookies; rugelach. I had never heard of them but I LOVED them and went to the web looking for recipes for them. I found out that rugelach is a Yiddish word and it is a traditional Jewish pastry that is served year round. I made them several times but the filling always fell out since it is made similar to a cinnamon roll, then baked on it's side. So when I found this recipe that calls them un-rugelach; but has the same ingredients I was eager to try it.
Perfect. I think this is my favorite cookie ever. I figure it's a fruit, so eat with a clear conscience!

Un-Rugelach or Turnovers
Adapted from ‘The Pie and Pastry Bible’ by Rose Levy Beranbaum
Crust
4 ounces cream cheese
8 Tablespoons softened butter
3 Tablespoons sugar
½ teaspoon vanilla
1 cup flour
1/8 teaspoon salt

Filling
3 Tablespoons sugar
2 Tablespoons brown sugar
¼ teaspoon cinnamon
6 Tablespoons golden raisins
1/3 apricot spread/jam (the good stuff)
½ teaspoon cornstarch
½ cup coarsely chopped pecans (be generous here)

Topping
Cinnamon and sugar mixed
Milk

Mix ingredients in the food processor, form into a ball, cover with plastic wrap and chill 2 hours.
Pulse first 4 ingredients in the food processor until the raisins are unrecognizable (my kids don’t think they like cooked raisins). Add the jam and the cornstarch; pulse, then add the nuts, combine, but do not chop fine.
Keep the dough cold while making the turnovers; form them into 1 tablespoon balls, chill, work with one ball at a time; roll between plastic wrap until about 4 inches across. Put a full teaspoon of filling on half of the circle and fold the other half over. Chill formed cookies 30 minutes before baking. Brush with milk and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar mixture. Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes. Cool completely before eating; the hot apricot jam can burn.
Yes, these are a bit of trouble. The dough is very soft and hard to handle. But so incredible!
My kids liked them; even the one that doesn't like nuts didn't mind them here.
Now I'll have to try a chocolate version; instead of apricots use miniature chocolate chips....
edited; We tried it filled with Nutella (hazelnut and chocolate spread). Jeffrey liked it best. I also did it with just apricot jam. Very good. After the kids went to school I did one last one with a square of milk chocolate and one of dark chocolate, topped with pecans. Yummy. But the apricot-raisin mixture was the best.
edit: Made again 3/1/10 This time I used a recipe for dried apricots that are cooked then blended and some sugar added then cooked again...it wasn't as good but I have a couple bags of dried apricots that need to be used and it is still delicious; doesn't need the cornstarch.

3 comments:

Liz Johnston said...

not sure i would like.. sorry. probably a good thing.

Love Of Quilts said...

Thanks!I will try these.

Diane said...

mmmm, they look good, I'm going to try them, I probably shouldn't...the snow is deep here and puts me in a baking mood, hopefully I will shovel enough to offset the bazillion calories...