Monday, October 5, 2009

Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bars

Reed was here this weekend and we enjoyed having him around. What with listening to conference 10 hours we didn't do anything exciting...I didn't even fix the meals I normally do when family visits. My appetizers that I normally put out for conference were purchased at the store. I did make a batch of cookies each day; pumpkin chocolate chip for Saturday and chocolate chip oatmeal on Sunday; Tyler wanted them BIG, so they are too big to eat a whole cookie; I used the ice-cream scoop to measure the amount.
Jeffrey was at a band competition ALL DAY! 9:30-9:30. Luckily they fed them. The band came in 6th; so they did a good job.

Just an update...I'm sure you're wondering what's going on with the red quilt.... 100% done with the repair of the finished and started blocks. Now I have 32 MORE blocks to make but with quilt market/festival coming this week and next I'll have no time to work on them. I also have some
  • quilting to do
  • machine quilting class to prepare
  • house to clean
  • science fair project to help with
  • young child to play with...discipline, nap with...etc.
  • meals to plan and prepare; for when I'm too busy next week.
Did you notice the machine quilting class to prepare for? That's tonight and yes, it meant that I HAD to start a new quilt. So I worked on 'the baby's quilt' Don't know yet if it's for Liz's or Melissa's yet.

Roger's had a major allergy attack so definitely no tomatoes in anything I cook until a frost, no lettuce, cucumbers, sunflower seeds, or cantaloupe either. (He's allergic to ragweed but these other things are close enough chemically to make it worse.)
Here's the pumpkin cookie recipe...it's really cake made thin and cut into bars.

PUMPKIN-CHOCOLATE CHIP BARS
Made first in 1990-very good.
Better Homes and Garden Cookies for Christmas ©1985
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
4 beaten eggs
1 16-ounce can pumpkin
1 ½ cups sugar
¼ cup cooking oil
1 6-ounce package (1cup) semisweet chocolate pieces
3 tablespoons sugar
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
Stir together flour, baking powder, 2 teaspoons cinnamon, baking soda, and salt. In a medium mixing bowl combine eggs, pumpkin, 1 ½ cups sugar, and oil. Add flour mixture and mix just till moistened. Stir in chocolate pieces.
Spread in an ungreased 15x 10 x 1-inch baking pan. Stir together 3 tablespoons sugar and ½ teaspoon cinnamon sprinkle evenly over batter. Bake in a 350ยบ oven for 25 to 30 minutes or till done. Cool. Cut into bars. Makes 36. I always cut them into diamond shapes 'cause the picture in the cookbook has them cut that way.
Everyone loves these. This time I had a smidgen of chocolate frosting in the fridge that I warmed up and drizzled on top.

1 comment:

Liz Johnston said...

don't forget the sugar.. that makes them gross.. just ask reed.