Monday, August 24, 2009

sausage and cheese grits casserole

Does it mean I've grown up? We went to DeeDee's annual back to school brunch and the best things there were the savory things. Maybe my sweet tooth left! We can hope; can't we?
I promised to post the grits casserole when I got home.
Sausage and Cheese Grits Casserole
serves 6 (if you are starving!)
4 cups boiling water
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup stone-ground grits
1 lb breakfast sausage, crumbled and well cooked
1 cup smoked cheddar cheese
3 Tablespoon butter
1/4 teaspoon tabasco
3 large eggs, lightly beaten
1-2 green onions
preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a medium baking dish. Add the salt to the water and whisk in the grits a bit at a time. Reduce heat to a bare simmer and cook the grits until thick and soft, 30-40 minutes. (You can use the 5-min. variety here, like I did, but not the instant) Stir the grits occassionally as they cook, to prevent scorching.
Remove the grits and stir in the cheese, sausage, butter and hot sauce (I added 1 oz. of cream chees I had in the fridge.) Check the seasoning and add more salt or hot sauce. Mix thoroghly with the eggs. spoon into prepared pan (Can be covered and refrigerated overnight at this point...In the morning let it sit for 30 minutes out of the fridge before baking.)
Baked until puffed and lightly set; 35-40 minutes.
Sprinkle top with the green onion.

Recipe found in 'best american recipes 2003-2004' they found it in;
'A Real American Breakfast' by Cheryl and Bill Jamison

2 comments:

Angela S said...

This really was fantastic!

Liz Johnston said...

people do not eat grits in idaho.. I actually did buy a container not to long ago because I was craving them.. not to long ago was like 6 or 7 months ago..