Saturday, March 28, 2009

New bag

Months ago I found a pattern that I thought might look good quilted... Kangaroo Bag by Kayla Kennington. I bought it and this week I took apart a linen jumper that I'd bought for .99 and quilted it.


I ran out of linen and HAD to run to the quilt shop and get a batik that would go with it. The bag was pretty simple to make IF I hadn't quilted the straps! Turning the straps was impossible. I ended up turning them half at a time; out through the seam that I opened up in the lining. 

Stash busted with this... well not so little bag; 3 1/2 yards! Honest that's what the pattern calls for and then I used an extra 1 1/2 yards for the extra interlining that I used to back the quilting before putting the lining on. So I busted this week 5 yards. 
Which is a very good thing since I went shop hopping and bought ... this:
and this:
 
Only one of those pieces does not fulfill a specific 'need.'
I am working on a stripe quilt and a reproduction quilt so it's clear that I NEEDED all 5 1/4 yards!
I have to admit 1 fat quarter was just cause I love double pinks. that brings my purchases up to 5 1/2 yards. :(


Stash Report for Week Number 13
So my stash busting report:
In: 5 1/2 yards
Out: 5 yards

Year to date:
In: 13.43 yards
Out: 64.4 yards

Year to date: I have used 50.97 yards more than I've purchased.

3 comments:

Mel said...

Storing all that linen has paid off! I love the bag! I love the quilting!

Mary-Kay C. said...

The bag is beautiful and so is your quilting. You are going to get a lot of compliments on it for sure.

Lori in South Dakota said...

That bag sure is nice! I love reproductions, I keep saying as soon as I find a pattern I can't live without I will cut it up. And good stripes are hard to find!