Wednesday, August 6, 2008

black bean salad

My daughter has been asking for this recipe and I finally found it.

BLACK BEAN SALAD
Inspired by a recipe in a diet book
1 cucumber peeled, seeded, salted and left to drain
3 cans (4 ½ cups) black beans, drained and rinsed
1 zucchini, diced
1 yellow pepper, diced
2 roma tomatoes, cut in half, squeeze the juice into a separate bowl, dice
½ cup green onion, sliced thin
Combine the above ingredients in (except leave the cucumber to the very last, so it has more time to drain) large bowl.

3 cloves garlic, peeled, smashed and diced to almost a paste.
½ cup chopped cilantro
5 tablespoons rice vinegar
6 drops tobasco
Combine the above 4 ingredients, then pour over salad, rinse and add cucumber and stir, cover and refrigerate for at least an hour, then allow to come to room temperature to serve.
Salt to taste

Note: zap garlic in microwave a few seconds, it makes it easier to peel and smash.

We love this salad; Liz wanted to serve it at her wedding...I didn't get to it.

2 comments:

Liz Johnston said...

I am glad you have this posted. I am making it for the baby shower.

Liz Johnston said...

I am glad you have this posted. I am making it for the baby shower.