Thursday, March 27, 2008

salmon and cilantro

I tired a new recipe tonight; Broiled salmon with cilantro. I've pretty much decided that anything with cilantro is fabulous so when I came across a salmon recipe that looked really easy I went for it.
Several years ago I found 'The Best American Recipes' by Fran McCullough and Molly Stevens at our closest outlet mall and bought it, for $3! I'm usually attracted to cookbooks with lots of pictures and this one has none so it surprised me that it looked so interesting to me. I also like cookbooks that are a bit chatty and this delivers that. Since then I have found another year at the local library. In it I found one of my favorite soups ever; Fresh Corn Soup. The cookbooks have been published every year since 1999. The authors try hundreds of recipes that were published that year, either in cookbooks, magazines, internet, backs of boxes, etc. and then compile about 110 of their favorites. The edition I have 2005-2006 has 7 recipes I have tried, all of them good.
Pyllo cheese straws-good
Tuscan bean and mushroom soup-good, my boys even ate it
Alice Waters Coleslaw-great-it has cilantro
Greek Radish salad-My husband loves radishes, I was surprised that I liked this salad.
Watermelon Salad-I loved this; reducing watermelon to use for the dressing was great.
Tomato couscous salad-was pretty good with store bought tomatoes with garden grown it would be fabulous.
Last nights' Salmon with cilantro was great; and if I'd actually followed the recipe it might have been better.

1/4 heaping cup chopped fresh cilantro
1 red onion, finely chopped
4 plum tomatoes, peeled, seeded and diced (I neither peeled or seeded them, and I used 5)
Juice of 1 lemon
salt and pepper
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1 1 1/4 pound salmon fillet, skinned and thinly sliced (mine was from the freezer so was not thin, but I think it would be better if I'd gotten the thin.)
Make the salsa with 2 tablespoons cilantro the onion and tomato, and leomin juice, season with salt and pepper. Set aside for 30 minutes
Preheat the broiler. Lightly brush a rimmed baking sheet with olive oil.
Mix remaining cilantro with the mayonnaise in a small bowl and season with salt and pepper.
Arrange the salmon slices on the baking sheet so they overlap. Spread the cilantro mayonnaise on top of the salmon. Broil until the mayonnaise is bubbling and lightly golden and the salmon is done, about 1 minute. (My salmon was thick so I cooked it for 4 minutes then turned it over and added the mayonnaise and finished cooking it.)

I've bought the ingredients for 4 more recipes:
Overnight macaroni and cheese-tonight; it calls for 2 cups heavy cream, so is not on our diet. I'm trying to include a few kid friendly foods since I've noticed Jeffrey isn't eating very much of our rabbit food. I actually made mac and cheese from a box this week, yuk, but they liked it and I wasn't even tempted. Tonights' will tempt me.
Cod foil dinner with ginger, orange and cumin
Crispy chicken breasts stuffed with spinach and goat cheese
Lemon chicken with croûtons-tonight, basically baked chicken with lemons inside served on
sour dough croûtons .

I also ordered another volume of this cookbook, so more fun is on order.

No comments: