Tuesday, February 19, 2008

sweet and sour pork

We are having our blue and gold banquet for cub scouts Thursday and I get to make sweet and sour pork. I'll actually use chicken since my husband doesn't eat any meat with 4 legs :) . I received this recipe 29 years ago from a friend; Adelle Leavitt. Her husband had gone on a mission for our church to ...well to an Oriental country. I don't remember if it was Japan or Taiwan but he got this recipe over there. It tastes better than any sweet and sour I've had in any restaurant.
SWEET AND SOUR PORK From Adele Leavitt 1977 Wyoming
1 lb. pork cut into 1” pieces marinate 20 minutes in:
1 T. cornstarch
1T. soy sauce

1 egg yolk

After the 20 minutes add;
3-6 Tablespoons cornstarch to stick to meat.
Deep fat fry 3 minutes at 375 degrees until crisp Mix and set aside.
Sweet and Sour Sauce
3 T. vinegar
3 T. sugar
3 T water

3 T. catsup

1 T cornstarch

1 medium green pepper
1 can chunk pineapple drained
½ clove garlic (I used 3 cloves of roasted garlic mashed with a fork and added towards the end.)

2-3 Tablespoon oil in fry pan.
Heat oil then add garlic; when fragrant add the other ingredients except meat. Cook until thickened and add meat.
Serve over rice.
This is as good as I remembered, but I'll make more sauce so the proportions of sauce to green pepper and pineapple is larger. I'm sure that my kids will want to pick the stuff out and just eat the sauce. (I'm not sure they will even eat the sauce plain.) Cornstarch left in the fridge for a long time lumps-I had to sift it.
Here's what I did with the left over egg whites.
COCOA KISSES 1987
From Joy of Cooking 1976 pg. 710
Preheat oven to 250
Sift:
1 cup sugar
Whip until stiff, but not dry:
3 egg whites
1/8 teaspoon salt
Add gradually half of the sugar.
Combine:
2 teaspoons water
1 teaspoon vanilla
Add the liquid, a few drops at a time, alternately with the remaining sugar.
Whip constantly. Fold in:
3 tablespoons cocoa
¾ cup chopped pecans
Drop the batter from a spoon onto a lightly greased cookie sheet and shape into cones. Bake until the kisses are firm to the touch but soft inside, about 30 minutes. Remove from the pan while hot. Makes about 40 1-inch meringues.

Guess what happens if you don't beat the egg whites long enough? I didn't but still put them on the cookie sheet, a flat mess, but it tasted great, chewey with crisp bits. I only cooked one pan with the flat egg whites then I made another batch with the egg whites beat up well and with out the vanilla, water, cocoa, and nuts then folded the other batter into the second and they turned out pretty and marbled but took about 50 minutes to cook. Next time I will cut down on the sugar, they were too sweet.

2 comments:

Mel said...

I am making the chicken sweet and sour Saturday, sounds oh so yummy!

Felicia said...

Sounds delicious :)