Amy over at the angry chicken/tie one on challenged everyone to do a polka dot apron. Deadline Feb. 1. TOMORROW. I started my THREE aprons today. Truth is I wasn't sure I was going to do it until my FUNK yesterday when I found some fabric I needed an excuse to buy. Actually I'd been thinking of the challenge for a couple weeks but couldn't get excited about it. Liz's birthday is coming and I thought I'd make her an apron... but then I made one for her sister and sister-in-law. I'm not going to tell you whose is whose; there should be some surprise to the birthday gift.
Did you notice all that bias binding? Homemade bias binding? That is a lot of binding! I figured that I needed at least 170 inches for each apron. 170 x 3 = 14+ yards of bias but I did more, probably an extra 3 yards per apron... don't ask me why. Each time I estimated I estimated up and ended up with plenty... Andrew could wrap the strings around his waist 5 times! If you EVER do Bias binding get the bias making tool first. I think I have the Dritz brand. I've had it for years but have not used it until recently but I would never make bias tape without it. 100% cotton made a more consistently even bias. The polycotton got wider near each seam. Icut the fabric at 2". One yard is enough for 1 apron and the bias for the other apron or for 2 aprons and you could use purchased binding.