Monday, December 24, 2007

my family date bars

I promised this recipe when I made the Chinese Chews, I like them better than the Chinese Chews, but then I grew up with them. Back in the 1950's Denver had a once a month preschool class for Mothers and their children. The young children, me at 3, went with a teacher to have fun and the Mothers were given information about being a good Mother. They had a cookie exchange in December, 1959, and one of the ladies brought these cookies and the recipe. There is no sense in making a single batch which would only fill an 8 x 8 inch pan, when doubling the batch gives you so many more cookies. In fact my Mother has never made a single batch of these.

Date Bars
2 eggs
1 cup confectioners sugar
1 tablespoon shortening melted (I substituted butter)
1/4 cup cake flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup chopped dates
3/4 cup nuts (walnuts or pecans)
1 teaspoon vanilla
Put in an 8 x 8 buttered pan
Bake at 325 for 25 minutes

No comments: