Monday, August 27, 2007

Pecan Sandies

Can you show by the raising of hands who loves Pecan Sandies? I haven't bought them for years but remember how they crumbled like sweet sand in your mouth. Well, yesterday I made some cookies called Drommar. Deciding to make these cookies is all mixed up in cleaning the laundry room so I can paint it; knowing I need to get rid of some cookbooks; thinking I could just send some to my kids without looking at them; looking at them; finding a different recipe; boiling the butter for 15 minutes! that I just had to try; it being the first day of school and needing, wanting to do that old fairytale thing of having homemade cookies and milk to eat when they arrived home.
So I made them and if I'd chopped pecans and added them they would be pecan sandies. Here is the recipe:

DROMMAR
From Better Homes and Gardens Christmas Cookies 1994 pg. 55
1 cup butter
¾ cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 teaspoons vanilla
½ teaspoon ground cardamom
2 cups all-purpose flour
Blanched whole almonds, toasted (about 50)
Place butter in a large heavy skillet. Cook over medium-low heat withour stirring about 15 minutes or till butter is a light tan color. Pour into a mixing bowl. Place over a bowl of cold water and chill until firm.
Add sugar, baking powder, vanilla, and cardamom; beat with an electric mixer till combined. Shape or stir in flour till well combined. Shape dough into 1-inch balls. Place 1 inch apart on an ungreased cookie sheet. Top each with an almond; press almond in slightly.
Bake in 350 degree oven for 12 to 15 minutes or till golden brown. Remove to wire rack and cool completely. Makes about 50.

No comments: