Friday, February 27, 2015

the cutting room floor...

More postcards...
 just picked up a handfull of cut edges off the cutting table floor...
Here I just added some quilting and a thin wash of acrylic paint for the letters. They were so easy to do. Last time I was at JoAnn's I purchased peltec (heavy duty interfacing) that had iron on adhesive on one side. I picked up scraps and ironed them down, then stitched down it every 1/8 inch or so. Trimmed it and zig zagged around the outside. Quilted the letter outline and then painted it. 
I was inspired by some work by Jenny Bowker in the March/April 2014 Machine Quilting Magazine.  The link shows some interesting work by Jenny but not the few little quilts that inspired me to paint on the postcards....
The last step is to baste the cardstock onto the back. Here are some of my backs....I've gotten fancy with them;

I just run the big water color paper under the faucet, using leftover paint from my kids grade school days I put a wash of colors and let it dry. The top blue one? I threw salt on it while it dried. These look pretty vibrant but they are really soft enough color so that the black ink that I write my notes with still shows. If one dries too bright, I just run it under the faucet for a few seconds to take some of the color away. After they dry I cut them to 4x6 and sew them to the backs of my photos or to the back of the fabric ones like above.

I still (or again after a few complaints) sew a layer of tracing paper to the front, to cover and protect the photo or fabric...

Now I'm thinking of a way to enhance the tracing paper....
(Are you just dying to know what I cut the scraps off of??? Patience. I'll get around to revealing it soon,,,)








No comments: