Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Back to Quilting....

In case you were wondering if this blog had morphed into a cooking blog I'll show you what I've been working on.; Here is the top I won last December from my Quilt Guild (blogged here.)
 Here is what I planned to do then:
I had it packed away as one of my quilt kits to finish in Saudi. So I pulled it out and replaced the teddies dressed as Santa (I do not decorate with Santa.....but I do use nutcrackers and I had bunches of the nutcracker fabric purchased on sale one year. One evening's work picking out the old and inserting the new.)
Here are 2 different sizes of triangles I was playing with; but it doesn't seem to work.
 Here I've made some with a lighter blue....
I like the paler blue....but I think I have to use many different reds since I can't find any of the orangy red that was used in the sashing. What do you think? I really didn't want to do scraps....more work you know...but as it is I just work a little bit at a time. Here I did it in EQ;
Notice that the triangles are up against the red sashing....I can't figure out how to insert a border since the math does not work out to put the triangles there. I feel guilty not getting the quilt done when I didn't have to make the top...but really it is becoming a big job.

Meanwhile I still have to cook so might as well make it interesting;
Last night I made a Salmon pot pie; recipe found int More Best Recipes form Cook's Illustrated (found at Half Price Books  ;) ) It used dill, an herb I do not use often. Roger really like it....me? not so much. Andrew and J each ate a serving but did not ask for seconds....
The gingerale was good but could have been more effervescent. Next time I'll leave it out longer.
The sauerkraut is still aging.
I made Ricotta cheese yesterday, excellent and easy. Here is the recipe that I will use next time. I used a gallon of whole milk and 3/4 cup vinegar. Recipe in 'Make the Bread, Buy the Butter.' Now I just have to figure out how to use it. I've found 2 recipes I want to use it in....but both are sweet and I'd like something besides sweet or lasagna. Any ideas?
Ready to make the pickles...or I was until I used the dill in the salmon, I need to go get some more and pick up my grape leaves from Lisa.
I'm almost out of dishwashing soap so I bought the stuff to make my own...I'll give you a cost breakdown when I've tried it out. :)

No comments: