Thursday, February 2, 2012

January Block

Years and years ago I was a member of a guild in Baytown, TX. I participated in our secret sister program but I had no money to spend on the s.s. every month, (1988? it was about 23 years ago when I had 4 young children at home). So I designed and appliqued a simple 6 inch block for her each month. Here is an old photo of that quilt;The Secret Sister hired Jan Beaman to put the quilt together for her and it made a very sweet quilt. So I made another set; increasing the block size to 9 inch, changed some of the blocks, and taught it as a class at Jan's quilt shop. Later I also started 6" blocks for my Mother, (I made each into a card for 5 different occasions) THOSE ARE NOT DONE YET.
This is my January block:
The design came from an old calendar; why didn't I think I could draw a snowman? I made the blocks in 1994. I quilted it on my Bernina in 2004. It is one my quilts that I can hang in my home any time of the year; which turns out nice since I'm not up to changing quilts so far this year; it's been hanging since Thanksgiving.
I'll show the other blocks occasionally in the next couple of months. I hesitate to declare that I will finish Mother's blocks so that I can post them here; but that IS the plan. Good luck to me.
In case you are interested;
  • I used 2 layers of a thin polyester batting for the snowman.
  • The green scarf is cut 2" wide with a torn edge for the fringe.
  • I would use french knots for the mouth now.
  • The arms are embroidered on the 6" version but appliqued on the 9" version.

No comments: