Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Salsa

Roger and I found Froberg's farm 2 weeks ago and Monday I took the boys with me to get our weeks worth of tomatoes, amazing fresh grown tomatoes. We actually got stuck behind a trailer with buckets of tomatoes going from their farm to the 'stand'. (We got fresh okra, yellow squash, green beans, and pinto beans too.)
So Andrew and I made salsa today. I went a bit overboard. We have enough salsa quite awhile.That's a 1/2 cup measuring cup in the bowl. There is no recipe but here is the list of ingredients;
  • 1 onion
  • 1 big red pepper
  • 1 small sweet yellow pepper that I have no idea what kind it is.
  • tomatoes, golden and red ones, about 20?
  • cilantro, 1 bunch
  • 2 cloves garlic
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • juice of 2 limes
  • 2 jalapenos, no seeds It is very mild; I can't tell there is any heat at all.
What can I say? I'm a messy cook. The big bowl was full when I finished. Those 2 bowls on the right? Jeffrey's experiments to up the heat. One bowl had a whole serrano pepper with seeds in it. The one on the left had a whole spicy yellow pepper called Gold Spike in it. The serrano one was still very mild and I could eat it. The gold spike one was a bit spicier but good and not to hot for me to taste but I don't think I'd be able to handle very much. ( I can only handle the mildest of foods, very little black pepper even.) I cut up an avocado and mixed it with the salsa for a great lunch for me.
They say it's better after sitting awhile; at the rate it's being eaten it may not even last an hour.
edit; the salsa lasted about 20 hours.

No comments: