I got this far a couple of years ago, in my mind it was finished, so I was surprised when I opened it and realized it needed some more grapes. Here they are made and basted in place. After they are sewn down the watermelon edge gets appliqued; then I can decide if I want the knife that the original has in front of the watermelon.
I changed the original pattern somewhat. Here is the original:And, yes, the pattern IS a xerox of a quilt made in1846. I took a workshop in about 1990 and received several patterns from the teacher; Laurene Sinema of the Quilted Apple in Phoenix Arizona. I believe this is my5th block. Here is a list on the changes I made to make it more of a TEXAN quilt.
- Added a pecan branch with pecan tree shaped leaves,
- added a chile ristra
- added plums to the base (to commemorate my parents plum trees, in CO)
- Added a watermelon shaped leaf
- Changed the grape leaf to look more like a grape leaf,
- changed the shape of the strawberry leaf
- changed from eggplant? to pears and
- added more oranges
- I'm not sure what the polka dot thing is, an orange? I made it a cantaloupe.
I'd like to finish it and get the next one prepped for our summer time travel....Who knows, another 20 years and I may just FINISH a Baltimore album quilt.
What do YOU think? Should I add the knife? More grapes? the plum leaves?
Check out Judy's Design wall.