This one uses a technique I have not used before; ticker tape or the lazy woman's tile quilt. A way to use a very small amount of scraps in an attractive way.... As simple as it looks it took several hours to do. If you want to try it I highly recommend a washable glue instead of pins to hold the pieces down. I used Elmer's washable school glue. A glue stick would have worked also. I laid it out last night, pressed it then went to bed. I put the borders on this morning. I quilted it after lunch, then washed it to get the marker (under Carter) and to see how badly, nicely it will fray.
I found a scrap of flannel to use for the batting and 3 different green solids for the border. I have a theme of 3's going on here; 3 different greens in the border then 3 fabrics are used 3 times...(actually 4 but for the fourth each patch looks very different and no 3 year old could figure it out unless they knew the fabric.) I quilted/attached each of the 3 with red thread and used green for the others. I did not bind it, just 'pillowcased' it then top stitched close to the fold. Here it is before washing: Here's a picture of a bigger 'tile' quilt. Here is an antique, non lazy tile quilt.
What I now know:
- The 'grout' lines get bigger when it is washed; my 1/4 inch gap is now closer to 1/2". It's okay, I just didn't think it through.
- I will not do this in a bigger quilt. Sewing around each patch would drive me nuts.
- The flannel shrank just a bit more than I wanted. I'm pretty sure it was washed twice before since I used it for the back of Liz's I Spy quilt. (Liz DO NOT dry your quilt in the dryer.)
- I liked trying this in the small size; getting finished in a short amount of time. I think I'll continue experimenting on my grandchildren's 'cards.'
- I may have to make all my 'cards' green. See photo below; a green explosion in the sewing room:for some reason I have more green scraps than any other color.