Wednesday, December 2, 2009

melt away chocolate mints


I tried a new recipe this morning; shocking I know, but the name pulled me in. Years (1993?) ago Melissa had to sell some mint melt away candies for a school fund raiser. I bought most of them over the month period. Later I found Russel Stovers French Chocolate mint candies or candy bar...can't find it anymore. So I tried it this morning. It was really easy, the chocolate melted while I drove kids to school; I heated the cream in the microwave and I didn't use a thermometer; it still turned out.

Melt Away Chocolate Mints

Good Housekeeping Illustrated Cookbook, 1980
16 ounces semi-sweet chocolate
2 tablespoons shortening
½ cup heavy cream
1 tablespoon peppermint extract…(2 teaspoons was too much; if I'd used the amount the recipe called for it would have been horrible-next time use even less.)
Cocoa
1. Line bottom of 8” x 8” baking pan with waxed paper; set aside. Chop chocolate into small pieces. Place chocolate and shortening in double boiler top. Heat water to boiling in double-boiler bottom; remove from heat THEN put double-boiler top over the hot water. Melt chocolate to 130 degrees.
2. Immediately discard water and refill with cold water. Set top over cold water and cool, stirring until chocolate is 83 degrees.
3. Meanwhile in small saucepan heat cream just to boiling; remove from heat.
4. In small bowl with mixer at low speed, beat chocolate, cream, and extract until blended. Increase speed to medium; beat 2 minutes, occasionally scraping down sides.
5. Pour mixture into prepared pan; set aside until firm, about 2 hours.
6. To serve; with metal spatula loosen chocolate mixture from sides of pan. Invert pan onto cutting board; discard waxed paper. Lightly dust sharp knife with cocoa; cut into diamonds or 1-inch squares.
Notes; used 2 teaspoons peppermint extract…try different next time
Used 3- 4oz. semi-sweet and 1 bitter-sweet Ghirardelli's chocolate.
Substituted butter for shortening

The verdict;
Too pepperminty-Laurie
Too dark chocolate-Andrew
Pretty good-Roger
They're all right-Jeffrey
Not an over whelming love, was it? I want it to be wonderful; Next time I'll make a half batch and try all semi-sweet chocolate and mint extract.

No comments: