Friday, November 6, 2009

Pumpkin cookies

I tried a new pumpkin cookie recipe this morning;

Pumpkin Cookies

1 box spice cake
1 can pumpkin
1/2 bag miniature chocolate chips
cinnamon and sugar mixture

Preheat oven to 350. Mix first 2 ingredients. Stir in chips. Using cookie scoop put cookies on cookie sheet. (I use a silicon mat so I don't have to grease the cookie sheet.) The first batch were kind of high so the next batch I sprayed the bottom of a glass with fat and dipped it in cinnamon and sugar then flattened the cookies. The first 'hill' cookies baked 15 minutes; the flat cookies were done in 10.


You can see the pumpkin hill cookies in the next to the last row and the cinnamon and sugar dusted ones in the foreground and far back.
The reason I wanted flatter cookies was so I could add cream cheese frosting between them. Yummy. I think they would be good without the chocolate; try it with apple bits next? I'm chilling them now so they will travel to the High School football pre-game dinner better.

Cream cheese frosting:
8 oz cream cheese
4 Tablespoons butter
2 teaspoons vanilla
powdered sugar...about 4 cups (just a bit less than 4 cups)

Beat the first 2 ingredients while you hunt for your vanilla..or try, without success, to open a new bottle. Then add the vanilla, beat, then add the sugar in 2 batches. (I'm adding some chopped pecans to my cookie but not for everyone.)

I'm not sure where the recipe came from...I'd heard somewhere that cake mixers worked to make cookies. My daughter makes them all the time. My sister made some pumpkin/cake mix cookies last week. I saw some pumpkin 'whoopie' cookies on Martha's web site (I saw the picture but didn't read the recipe.) I saw on this website a recipe for pumpkin cookies with cream cheese filling while I was baking mine and after I'd bought the ingredients for the frosting....

They taste a bit like a pumpkin roll...but a bit easier to serve.

2 comments:

Melanie said...

http://bohnfam.blogspot.com/2007/08/samuel-and.html?zx=88a5c41459675b43

Melanie said...

bonni@bohns.com