Wednesday, April 16, 2008

the best brownies

Saturday was our pack's cake auction; I cooked most of the day except when I was resting so I could cook some more. Andrew made the best ever brownies; Chocolate Chip-Brownie Double- Deckers. The recipe is from 'The Best American Recipes 2005-2006' they got the recipe from "The Weekend Baker" by Abigail Dodge. A thin brownie with a layer of chocolate chip cookies on top, probably the best brownie I have ever had....
I also made from the same cookbook Raspberry Walnut Brownies; pretty good but I think I overcooked them a bit so I SHOULD make them again just to be fair.
I also made 2 recipes from the 2003-2004 edition; Cornmeal cupcakes with Pecan frosting-so very good I will definitely make these again BUT I will never use the silicon cupcake liners I bought instead of paper again. I thought the cupcakes would come out and still be pretty, but unfortunately they wouldn't so we had to keep them at home. It was SO SAD we had to eat the ugly cupcakes; I'm sure y'all feel sorry for us. I also made Gingerbread-Cider Cake. The purchaser let me have an inch to taste and that will be a holiday treat for 3 of us from now on.
Finally I made Mayan Mystery Cookies from the 2001-2002 book. The secret ingredient is 1/2 teaspoon pepper and 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper; without the spices I think we would have had a winner cookie with the spices it makes for an interesting twist and is still a good cookie.

No recipes since I've given enough of this cookbook away and don't want the authors to sue; so do a search and buy them for yourself. I hope you have as much fun as I do trying new recipes.

I still need to take pictures of the 'quilting' I did for the quiltathon...
But since today is Webelos I'll have to put it off again.

No comments: