Monday, December 17, 2007

graduation

Our 4th child graduated! We arrived in Idaho the night before graduation. The day of, Liz still had finals so we didn't see her till right before the luncheon served to graduates and family. She gave us a tour of the 'box' that they lived in last semester (It was a one room apartment-very small..they went to Idaho Falls every weekend to get away from the itty bitty living space) Her younger brothers had taken to calling it a box and were eager to see it. I would totally post a picture here if I was at home but... I'm not, so go to her blog and see her smiling face.
I got high altitude headaches again and am guzzling smart water and Propel. I am not sure about retiring to a cold climate! It is really freezing here and my clothing is not really designed for COLD. (I think it is cold in my house when it is 68 degrees.) I think I'll appreciate Houston winters more after visiting here.
Saturday morning our plan was to drive south and visit my sister and my in-laws. Thirty mile out side of town we heard a strange sound and pulled into the rest stop and ended up being towed back to Idaho Falls. It is lovely having such a nice place to stay (my son's family) and the car should be fixed today and we'll at least get to see the kid's grandparents this week.
None of the gifts I ordered for delivery here has arrived yet. Should I worry? Guess not, I can't do a thing about it.
Yesterday I fixed chicken pot pie, peppermint bark, and peppermint bark chocolate cookies, and fudge. Next time I make peppermint bark I will have enough candy canes (we used 4) and make it thicker. (It was a new recipe for me and we chopped the candy canes too fine.) The cookies were fine but I think I'll try this recipe next time.
My fudge recipe I got from a friend, Pam, 25 years ago. I've changed it slightly.
Pam's Fudge
4 cups-1 Tablespoon sugar
1 T. corn syrup
1 can evaporated milk
1/2 cup butter
1/8 teaspoon salt
Put in a heavy saucepan and boil 4 minutes, take off heat.
Add;
12 oz. semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 -7 oz. jar marshmallow cream
2 large (1/2 lbs @) Hershey's bar (I do one dark chocolate and one milk chocolate)
2 teaspoons vanilla
stir until combined and melted.
Pour into a buttered LARGE cookie sheet (mine is 17 X 12)
Then since one child doesn't like nuts I pour 1 cup nuts onto 3/4 of the pan and push them in. I used to put them in with the chocolate chips which is easier. Cool; at home I have to get it in the fridge, here we put it in the garage! I like to cut the squares and set them apart onto a plate and let the edges dry slightly before serving. ;) that rarely happens. We usually eat it out of the pan; every time we pass the pan we have to straighten the edge, or neaten a jagged cut.

No comments: