Tuesday, October 16, 2007

soup


Imagine my surprise when I went to make this soup and it wasn't already in the computer. I have really made an effort the last 2 years to type in every recipe I use as I use it. This is so I can gradually decrease my collection of cards and books. So here are 2 recipes; one of them I've been cooking for years and is one of my kids favorites. The other, Corn Soup, is my all-time favorite soup! I love it. I even made it without a victorio strainer so I know it can be done. It is sooo worth it. Really. Make an extra batch and freeze it. Serve it with the cheese and chilis. R. has a victorio strainer so he has no excuse not to make it. I want to hear a report. lol


FRESH CORN SOUP
From ‘The Essential Cuisines of Mexico’ by Diana Kennedy
‘This is, in our opinion one of the great soups of the world…’
4 cups corn kernels (about 1 ½ lbs.) fresh or frozen
1 cup water
4 T. butter
3 ½ cups milk or light chicken stock
½ teaspoon salt
2 poblano chiles, charred, peeled and seeded, then dices and briefly fried in a little oil
6 T.crumbled queso fresco
6 small tortilla, cut into small squares, fried until crisp in oil
If you are using frozen corn, measure it frozen and then let it defrost.
Blend the corn with water at high speed until you have a smooth puree. Put the puree through the medium disk of a food mill or coarse strainer.
Melt the butter in a large saucepan but do not let it get too hot. Add the corn puree and let it cook over medium heat for about 5 minutes, stirring all the time.
Add the milk or stock and salt to the mixture and bring it to a boil. Lower the heat and let the soup simmer for about 15 minutes, stirring it from time to time to avoid sticking. It will thicken slightly.
Put about ½ tablespoon of diced chile and 1 tablespoon crumbled cheese into each bowl. Pour the soup over them and top with the crisp tortilla squares to serve.


PEA SOUP PLUS
I think this came from a Better Homes and Gardens about 1970. I was trying recipes in High School and we loved this. When Grandma, my mother, came to visit she would make this soup because my kids liked it.
1 3-pound pork butt, ham or bacon
1 16-ounce quick cooking split peas (2 cups)
1 ½ cups thinly sliced carrots
1 small onion, chopped
1 ½ cups thinly sliced celery
½ teaspoon peppercorns
½ teaspoon whole allspice
1 bay leaf
salt
2 quarts water
About 2 hours before serving;
In Dutch oven or large kettle over high heat, heat pork butt, split peas, carrots, celery and water to boiling. Meanwhile make bouquet garni; tie the peppercorns, allspice, and bayleaf in a cheesecloth bag; add to pea mixture. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, 1 hour and 45 minutes, stirring occasionally. Or until meat is tender. Discard bouquet garni. Add salt to taste. To serve, remove pork from soup and let stand 10 minutes; cut in slices to serve with soup. Makes 8 servings.

1 comment:

Angela S said...

Oh I remember having that soup (corn) when R and I were engaged. It was pretty good. And that pea soup must be the one that Reed always talked about. Thanks~!