Monday, February 8, 2010

Design wall

Saturday I took a class from Winnie about borders. I think everyone has already taken this class; I know a couple women that have taken her border class a couple of times. This is what I came home with Saturday after sewing 5 hours. We make the 10" center at home and pre-cut strips to take to class. I had the yellow and green fabrics from my stash but the pinks did not match what was in my stash; it is a little coral-ly, so I had to purchase it. I wish I hadn't used so much of the yellow in the center....
After working another 2 hours I had this:

Now the 74 dollar question is do I make it bigger? Continue with more borders? Or do I turn it on point and then continue? Do I just bind it here and call it done? It's not like I need another project....
So, I would really like your opinion. On point or not? Continue or not? I'll be waiting to hear. Will I be twiddling my until I hear? Nope, I'll work on something else this morning...Should it be the I-Spy blocks..... NO THEY ARE FINISHED!
This is what 495 blocks look like:
And, yes, nano seconds after this picture was taken the tower fell over behind the couch so I get to dig them out and reorganize them. The exchange is due Wednesday and then I'll get them back next Monday. In 2 weeks what do you suppose will be on the design wall?
So today I get to choose between;
  • buy and sew border on spotty dotty baby quilt?
  • alter prom dress for customer?
  • quilt Verna's quilt?
  • design southwest quilting design for new customer quilt?
  • sew together Dresden plate for customer?
  • or clean a room?
What a dilemma; so much to do and so little time....

8 comments:

lj_cox said...

Ooh I really like it on point! No idea where to go from there, though. Maybe setting triamgles to take it back to square before another border, to echo the inner border around the block?

Baby Boomer Grammy said...

That is so beautiful (love your heart quilts too).(As usual, you are such an artist in your choice of colors.) Can't believe you got it done so quickly. I would just put a binding on it and call it quits. It is so striking just by itself -- would make a great wall hanging.

Cathy said...

I'd keep it on point, and add some setting triangles to make it back to a square. It is saying half dresden plates in the setting squares, to me. Maybe with the blades with points, to pick up the rest of the angles. It is too pretty to stop now, and you've put too much work into it.

Shout4Joy said...

I like it on point best, so I guess I'd keep working on it if I were in your design shoes.

the writer said...

I like the on-point look. You may want to audition a small border between the current block & the triangles to make it a bigger square so that you get the pieced border to "pop" a little bit.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Patty Cake said...

Wow! It's beautiful. I guess you could do a wall hanger or make it into a large pillow the way it is. But on point looks soo nice. How bad do you want to spend your time on it? I think you deffinately should finish it and not put it away to do later. You have enough of those 'someday' projects.

Sue Bridges said...

This is beautiful, keep going, quilting is something I would like to have a go at but at the moment my other crafts are taking over. Love you blog, I hope to try out some of your recipes as well.

Quilter Kathy said...

It makes a great smaller quilt, but if you really like it, and you have more fabric, keep building it. If not...call it a day :)